Go Back   Ostate Sports > OSU Cowboys > OSU Sports Board

Old 01-03-2008, 11:30 PM   #1
Verb
Administrator

Default DMN says Reid is leaving OSU

Oklahoma State QB Reid to leave, mother says

10:50 PM CST on Thursday, January 3, 2008

By BRANDON GEORGE / The Dallas Morning News

The mother of Oklahoma State junior quarterback Bobby Reid said Thursday night that her son won�t be back to play for the Cowboys next season.

Rajika Reid said her son is considering two options for his future: declaring for the 2008 NFL draft or transferring to another college for his senior season.

If Reid were to transfer to another Division I-A school, he would have to sit out a season per NCAA transfer rules. Reid has until Jan. 15 to make himself eligible as an early entrant for the NFL Draft.

�We do have a little window, and he is still trying to make up his mind,� Rajika Reid said from her home in Humble, Texas. �Hopefully soon, he will have a decision. But, yes, he won�t be back to Oklahoma State.�

After making 20 starts in his career, Reid (6-3, 235) was demoted before OSU�s Sept. 14 loss at Troy State. Reid was replaced by backup Zac Robinson, who finished the season as OSU�s starter.

Robinson led OSU to a 49-33 win over Indiana in the Insight Bowl on Monday in Tempe, Ariz. Robinson was 24-for-34 for 302 yards and three touchdowns and rushed for 70 yards and two touchdowns on 15 carries to earn the game�s offensive MVP award. Robinson, a sophomore, finished the season with 2,824 passing yards and 23 touchdowns with nine interceptions and rushed for 847 yards and nine touchdowns.

Following the loss at Troy State, OSU opened Big 12 play at home with a 49-45 win over Texas Tech on Sept. 22. After the win, OSU coach Mike Gundy went on a three-minute tirade to start his news conference. His harsh words were directed at a columnist from The Oklahoman concerning a story addressing why Reid wasn�t starting over Robinson.

After Gundy defended his former starting quarterback, Reid missed practices on Oct. 17 and Oct. 18 leading up to the Cowboys� homecoming game against Kansas State on Oct. 20.

Gundy said after the Kansas State game that Reid, from Galena Park North Shore, wasn�t available to play against the Wildcats because he had been declared inactive for the game. Gundy said Reid wasn�t suspended but inactive.

�He had some personal issues and missed two practices,� Gundy said at the time. �He just was having a difficult time [with] a lot of different things, some with football, some with other things.�

Reid started all 13 games for OSU as a sophomore in 2006, passing for 2,266 yards and 24 touchdowns and throwing 11 interceptions. He rushed for 500 yards and five touchdowns. He was named a semifinalist for the Davey O�Brien Award (nation�s top quarterback) in 2006.
Verb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:24 AM   #2
BigBadBen
Super Moderator

Thanks for all the effort Bobby.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
frankeaton
1st Team

guess Spano can have his scholarship now
frankeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:45 AM   #4
CaptMike
1st Team

I had heard rumblings that said as much. From what I understand he graduated and wants to move on. Declaring for the NFL would be about as smart as when Reggie White did it.
CaptMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
acefin
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMike View Post
I had heard rumblings that said as much. From what I understand he graduated and wants to move on. Declaring for the NFL would be about as smart as when Reggie White did it.

dont you think that Reid is more ready as a wr to go into the nfl compared to Reggie White as a running back ? if Reid leaves i would think going into the nfl would be a better decision . Reid will most likely be a wr but i think Bobby would be a better nfl qb then chris simms or Joey Harrington.
whoever told reggie that he should go into the draft did him a disservice . by the way what ever happened to Reggie.?
acefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #6
CaptMike
1st Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by acefin View Post
dont you think that Reid is more ready as a wr to go into the nfl compared to Reggie White as a running back ? if Reid leaves i would think going into the nfl would be a better decision . Reid will most likely be a wr but i think Bobby would be a better nfl qb then chris simms or Joey Harrington.
whoever told reggie that he should go into the draft did him a disservice . by the way what ever happened to Reggie.?
I don't know about that; how many passes did Bobby catch this year?
Old 01-04-2008, 11:16 AM   #7
Boss 24
1st Team

I may get flamed right off the board for this but...

It doesn't break my heart if Bobby transfers or goes pro. His "demotion", if you can call it that, is part of football and it's part of life. The coaches maybe could've handled it better but the majority of the hoopla came from the media. The f'n media which most of us give pure hell to all the time anyway.

Gundy's speech, rant, soapbox sermon or whatever you want to call it put the kid in an awkward position. Somebody took up for him and it was probably an embarrasment to him. However, most of the people who matter (OSU FANS) were behind him and wished him only the best. Bobby's reaction was to miss practice and be declared inactive.

That was bs. IMHO Gundy should've booted him off the team then and there. The kid quit because he wasn't the star anymore and then was allowed to come back. I sure didn't have much faith in him as a leader of the team after that.

This isn't my soapbox for "When life hands you lemons start making lemonade"; rather, I'm saying you don't always get what you want and the only thing you can do is pull yourself up by your bootstraps.

Flame on

Just 'cuz you ain't paranoid don't mean they ain't out to get ya.
Boss 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
CaptMike
1st Team

I also think the correct action was to boot him, but I believe it was actually Gundy who got put in the awkward position by Reid, not the other way around. Reid didn't take his demotion well, didn't go to class or practice, and all this while the world was on fire because of Mike's rant taking up for him. It would have been correct for Mike to boot him, but he really couldn't do it during the fervor of 'The Rant' was still going on. Any other time, BR would have been suspended, IMO, and rightfully so.

If he transfers, people are going to point fingers at Gundy replacing him and whatnot. However I believe judging by his performance that ZRob is indeed the better QB and that Gundy made the right choice.

If he is leaving, he is doing it out of spite and pissiness because he isn't starting. Therefore, I say good luck... you'll need it.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #9
Inky29
Super Moderator

I wish him luck in whatever he does. I feel bad for the kid in the fact he was recruited to run a specific style offense and the offense up an vanished like a fart in the wind. The guy has been through hell for the most part while here. He had pretty much won the job and then got hurt and had to RS. Then when he came back the fan base was split between a kid that most everyone loved because of the name on the back of his jersey and a kid that was more capable of running the new offense (neither were a perfect fit but Reid was better equipped to run it the way they wanted). Then he eventually gets the starting job and puts together one of the all time best seasons by a QB at OSU and that still isn't enough to win over most fans. He then struggles against UGA once Savage leaves the game and then goes down with an injury in the next game (questionable injury but I don't know any of the details so it's hard for me to aruge one way or another on this fact). Once healthy he never gets a chance to win back his job, even after the guy that replaced him loses a game on the road. To say he never learned to roll with the punches or was weak mentally is a bit of a stretch. He's gone through as much as almost anyone on the team since he's arrived on campus.

I like the kid and thank him for the time he's spent at OSU. We are better off because of it.
Inky29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #10
CoachOSU
1st Team

Good points Inky and you are right... I do respect what he has done for OSU and the effort he put out up too the KSU game... don't forget how he handled losing the starting spot... he didn't just get mad and work harder to get it back .. he pouted, skipped out on his teammates, and decided everyone was against him and the he was getting the shaft...

Really like BR but thought he handled the situation very badly... could have been more of a stand up guy.
CoachOSU is offline   Reply With Quote